Nano 12.5 vs Yak 15

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
kitesurfa
Nano 12.5 vs Yak 15

Submitted by jamess

I am new to speedflying and about to buy new wing. I will go with GIN, but can not decide between Nano and Yak.

Which one do you find SAFER - i am newbie, but very at home to extreme sports with all my background.

My idea is descending mountain peaks once i climb them (weight is an issue) both summer and winter.

All help very appreciated!!

No votes yet
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
a random Speed-Flyer (not verified)

The Yak is the only recomendable wing for your purpose. Forget the Nano, as it will be only usable for footlaunching at some very steep slopes due to the very bad glide ratio. Especially in Slovenia there are a lot of trees, and I guess you don´t want to land in trees, even though you try to fly like a bird? Dont you?

BR, Stefan (a Yak-Mountain-Rocker)

kitesurfa

Submitted by Swoopn

Have FUN!!

kitesurfa

Submittedd by Anonymous

I come from Slovenia. And I went with Gin Yak 15, awaiting it next week. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

kitesurfa

Submitted by Swoopn

I do agree that you need to choose a wing that is suitable for you desired terrain. However, going to a smaller wing in a new sport does add risk. Assuming your gear weighs about 20lbs you are loading your current parachute at 1.24 lbs/ft^2. I would not call an aggressive loading and considering you've have less than year of experience I would err on the side of caution and go with a wing that is a little slower. This is were kitesurfa's advice will be more educated than mine, as he is much more knowledgeable of the different paragliding style wings than I.
btw Where do you live?
G

kitesurfa
Which one do you find SAFER - i am newbie, but very at home to extreme sports with all my background.

My idea is descending mountain peaks once i climb them (weight is an issue) both summer and winter.

Its not really which one is safer, but more which one is suitable for what you require. Gin Nano and Yak are totally different gliders with completely different performance. If you plan hike and Fly type of flying then go for the Yak or heavier(weight) Bobcat. Bobcat and Yak are identical except for materials used.
Nano has much less glide than the Yak.

kitesurfa

Submitted by Anonymous

I fly 150 sq.f. canopies. For less than a year. Being mountaineer climbing remote alpine faces around the globe my entire adult life I do have respect for nature's laws and will not take SF lightly or irresponsibly, for sure.
I hope I gave enough information on which wing would be good for me to start with. I have 75 kgs naked if that helps too.

kitesurfa

Submitted by Swoopn

A few more details around your canopy experience would be helpful. I too jump small wings, I just want to make sure we are on the same page with respect to the definition of small. What do you fly? at what wing loading? and for how long? Also, where do you jump?

All this aside, I can not stress the importance of finding a speedflying/ ground launching school and taking the course. Speed-flying has very different dangers than paragliding or skydiving and thus require a different knowledge base. Reading books is great, but I strongly discourage reading then doing.

kitesurfa

Submitted by jamess

I do skydiving only, but with small(er) canopies as well. As for paragliding experience - none.

kitesurfa

Submitted by Swoopn

What is your aviation experience?